Suspension is the system of tyres, tyre air, springs, shock absorbers and linkages that connects a vehicle to its wheels and allows relative motion between the two. Wear in your car's suspension can make your vehicle unsafe. Here at WRS we can quickly identify any issues with your car's suspension, replace worn components and get you back on the road promptly and more importantly, safely!
Suspension systems must support both road holding/handling and ride quality, which are at odds with each other. The tuning of suspensions involves finding the right compromise. It is important for the suspension to keep the wheel in contact with the road surface as much as possible because all the road or ground forces acting on the vehicle do so through the contact patches of the tyres.
- Reduced braking efficiency resulting in longer stopping distances
- Reduced efficiency of Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS) and Electronic Stability Control (ESP)
- Increased risk of skidding in the wet
- Aquaplaning occurs at lower speeds
- Less control when cornering or caught in a crosswind
- Increased driver tiredness and reduced speed or response
- Increased wear of tyres and other suspension components
- Uneven/oscillating headlight level causing dazzle to oncoming drivers
- Increased passenger discomfort
The performance of a shock absorber deteriorates over time. A driver will unwittingly adapt their driving to compensate for the wear and worsening condition and handling.